A corneal abrasion can occur from a mechanical insult to the eye. Occasionally a contact lens wearer will experience a corneal abrasion. These can be quite painful. A foreign object can also fly into the eye and lodge under the upper lid creating continuous pain. A thorough examination of both the cornea and eyelids is necessary to remove the foreign body. Symptoms include:
- Sharp pain in your eye followed by burning, irritation, tearing, and redness
- Feeling that something is in your eye when moving your eye around while it is closed
- Scratching sensation over your eye when blinking
- Blurred vision or vision loss in the affected eye
- These symptoms warrant an immediate consultation. Our office will always work you in for a visit if you have any of these symptoms.